Google Now can track the amount of time you walk and cycle by your phone’s activity. It must deduct stopped time since my bike commute is 30 mins total each day. The time I had spent running must be included in my recorded walking time. Since I had run about 34 hours in March.
Update: I ran 37 hours 20 minutes in March according to my training log.
Jenny Simpson crushed the competition with a scorching 4:19.3 mile.
Nick Willis holds off Bernard Lagat for his second Fifth Avenue Mile win.
This event is FREE for everyone sponsored by East River Park Track Club and Partnerships for Parks. Participants may register for as many events as you like. Awards will be given to the top three (3) performers in each event. double and tripple dipping for awards is allowed! All participants will be given free schwag and refreshments for paricipating. Good luck!
Lockers are available at the track house. Must bring your own lock. Baggage can be watched by staff for participants while they run events.
Location: East River Park Track located at East 6Th Street and FDR.
Directions: Take F train to Second Street station walk East on East Houston towards East River Park approximately 1 mile.
Earlier start time at 9:00 AM to better deal with termperatures.
List of Events (Times subject to change)
9:00 AM 3000M Men
9:20 AM 3000M Women
9:35 AM 1500M Men
9:50 AM 1500M Women
10:05 AM 800M Men
10:20 AM 800M Women
10:35 AM 400M Men
10:50 AM 400M Women
Wilson Kipsang comfortably in the lead on West Street at Chambers Street.
- Jullie Culley is the USA Olympic Trials 5,000 Meter Champion and reaches the Olympic 5,000 meter finals. Julie also ran a 5,000 meter personal best 15:05.38 in the Olympic 5,000 meter semi-finals. It was unfortunate Julie wasn’t able to make her marathon debut at the NYC Marathon this November.
- Edward Cheserek Repeats as Foot Locker Cross Country Champion - During the High School cross country, indoor and outdoor track seasons all you hear about is Ed Cheserek setting a record somewhere. Adding to his storied St. Benedict’s prep career, on December 4, 2012 Ed became the fourth boy’s repeat cross country champion.
- Brooklyn Marathon - In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, New York City was faced with 2012 being the first year since 1970 that the NYC Marathon would not be held. NYCRuns’s Brooklyn Marathon saw that there would be a marathon run in New York City every year since 1970.
- NYRR Mini 10K 40th Anniversary – The first Mini 10K had taken place on June 3, 1972 as the Crazylegs Mini Marathon, an all woman race to promote equality in sports. The race’s popularity had grown over the years to attract top talent from around the world. In 2012 the Mini had 6,122 finishers and honored women who had run the race repeatedly over the years.
- Matthew Centrowitz, Jr. – Fifth Avenue Mile Victory - Matt “Centro” Centrowitz, Jr. is the son of notable NYC runner and coach Matt Centrowitz, Sr. In September Matt, Jr. made his Fifth Avenue Mile debut defeating 2011 winner Bernard Lagat and 2012 Olympic 1,500 meter silver medallist Leo Manzano. Watch Matt’s run to victory in this video.
Just in time for the Mayan Apocalypse, NYRR announces their cancelled marathon resolution. The options are 1) Refund, 2) Guaranteed entry into the 2013, 2014 or 2015 NYC Marathon, or 3)Guaranteed entry into the 2013 NYC Half. Runners that select guaranteed entry for the marathon or half will need to pay the full entry price. No credits or discounts will be offered for the guaranteed entry option.
NYRR’s resolution is fair. Those runners that live far away and spent a lot of money on travel to NYC, can recoup some of their money spent with the refund. The guaranteed entry option for the marathon and half is a very good solution too. It saves runners the time and money they would have to spend qualifying for the marathon or half. Plus the marathon streakers can keep streaking!
What option would you chose? Please discuss in the comments.