- Jullie Culley is the USA Olympic Trials 5,000 Meter Champion and reaches the Olympic 5,000 meter finals. Julie also ran a 5,000 meter personal best 15:05.38 in the Olympic 5,000 meter semi-finals. It was unfortunate Julie wasn’t able to make her marathon debut at the NYC Marathon this November.
- Edward Cheserek Repeats as Foot Locker Cross Country Champion – During the High School cross country, indoor and outdoor track seasons all you hear about is Ed Cheserek setting a record somewhere. Adding to his storied St. Benedict’s prep career, on December 4, 2012 Ed became the fourth boy’s repeat cross country champion.
- Brooklyn Marathon – In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, New York City was faced with 2012 being the first year since 1970 that the NYC Marathon would not be held. NYCRuns’s Brooklyn Marathon saw that there would be a marathon run in New York City every year since 1970.
- NYRR Mini 10K 40th Anniversary – The first Mini 10K had taken place on June 3, 1972 as the Crazylegs Mini Marathon, an all woman race to promote equality in sports. The race’s popularity had grown over the years to attract top talent from around the world. In 2012 the Mini had 6,122 finishers and honored women who had run the race repeatedly over the years.
- Matthew Centrowitz, Jr. – Fifth Avenue Mile Victory – Matt “Centro” Centrowitz, Jr. is the son of notable NYC runner and coach Matt Centrowitz, Sr. In September Matt, Jr. made his Fifth Avenue Mile debut defeating 2011 winner Bernard Lagat and 2012 Olympic 1,500 meter silver medallist Leo Manzano. Watch Matt’s run to victory in this video.